Over half the bets I have in play this week are linked to Jordan Spieth in some way, shape or form so that back nine 33 to put him in contention was a welcome sight. However, I can't help but think that his Thursday quad on fifteen is going to haunt him on Sunday when he's still playing catch-up to the guys in front of him who go low today (namely Fowler and Rahm). On the other hand, there are only nine players in front of him and you've got to figure that at least half of those are going to go backwards (sorry Freddie) so who knows?
A few other thoughts (that was a "thought"?).
- The British are leaving. So much for that round one theory I pitched yesterday as the Limeys were practically stepping over each other trying to fade from contention. Justin Rose held it together with a 72 but from there you've got Rory (73), Casey (75), Westwood (77), Fitzpatrick (78) and Sullivan (78). Not to mention defending champ and burgeoning historical footnote Danny Willett who missed the cut and dark horse Tyrrell Hatton who shot 80-78. Blimey!
- Someone forgot to give Fred Couples the memo that golf on a windy day is supposed to be a grueling and soul crushing death march. Seriously, I'll have what he's having.
|For those in attendance, Daniel |
Berger made the cut so Tori
Slater may be on the property.
- If I had to re-pick going into the third round, I'd probably take Rickie Fowler. When the greens get firmer and faster this weekend, chipping and putting are going to be key and Rickie is doing both exceptionally well at this point.
- There's always one guy who comes out of nowhere on the weekend to crash the top ten. I like Brandt Snedeker. Again, chipping and putting.
- If I had to project the final top ten right now because if I didn't, you'd make me watch Scott Van Pelt and Curtis Strange sit in a little cabin in front of a bunch of stupid looking plants and state obvious things about golf, I'd go with: 1. Fowler, 2. Rahm, 3. Spieth, 4. Rose, 5. Garcia, 6. McGirt, 7. Snedeker, 8. Kjeldesen, 9. McIlroy, 10. Kuchar. How freakin' awesome would that be?